Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cheese Plate


I don't think I watch that much TV - but it sure does make ironing and folding laundry less boring, so I DVR my favorite shows and watch them after everyone is in bed.

Last week I was watching "Top Chef Master's" when they had the chefs prepare a picnic lunch for Diner en Blanc (I'm on the waiting list.) Anyway, the founder's son was commenting on one of the meals and that it was too sweet. He said in France a cheese course would have been served instead of the dessert to cut the sweetness

The next day I was grocery shopping in Fairway and passed by their impressive cheese section and had a thought - my kids love cheese. One night when on vacation in Bar Harbor we'd ordered a cheese plate and the kids tried all of them. Rick and I often order a cheese plate when we eat out instead of dessert. What better way to continue my children's food education in a way they would enjoy than by incorporating cheese plates into our meals?

I decided we will have a cheese plate with dinner each Sunday. I'll choose 3 cheeses each week. One I am sure they will enjoy, one they will probably enjoy and one that might be a reach - a new experience for them.

This Sunday was our first attempt. I'd purchased the cheese on Thursday and told them about my plan, and showed them the cheese - but told them they WERE NOT allowed to try the cheese until Sunday. The anticipation near killed them and just as I had hoped, they were very excited to try it by the time we got to dinner on Sunday.

For our first attempt I chose Smoked Gouda with bacon as their "for sure", a washed rind sheep's cheese as the "probably" and a stronger English Whiskey Cheddar as the "stretch". I also served cashews, crackers and red pepper jelly. I meant to stop to get some green grapes on our way home on Saturday but had forgotten, so we skipped grapes this time. They inhaled the smoked Gouda and sheep's cheese. Jacob and Jane tried the cheddar but thought it was a bit strong - Emily loved it. It goes without saying that Rick and I loved them all.

 An eating success for our family :)

I need to buy a nice wooden cheese board but for now this platter worked well. I think I'll also print up a little card each week with an explanation of the cheese (it's right on the wrapping, I can just copy it over), which will make it feel more special and teach us about the cheese. I also thought I'd like to see if I an get a book from the library on cheese and learn more myself. Maybe also learn how to properly put together a cheese plate.

1 comment:

Tara said...

That's a great idea. After reading about your hectic schedule I think you should not make special cards and just read the info straight off the label - you might as well save yourself the limited time you have!