Sunday, September 21, 2008

September Recipes

Here's a listing of the recipes from September, in alphabetical order.


Baked Ham

Fully Cooked (Ready-to-Eat or -Serve) Bone-In Ham
As there are many types of ham available, be sure to check the label to ensure you've selected a fully cooked variety.

REMOVE rind (if necessary) and score. Place in a shallow foil-lined roasting pan.

SCORING
Scoring a ham allows basting sauce or glaze to penetrate the meat, adding flavor. Use a paring knife to make shallow, even slits diagonally across the top of the ham in one direction, then repeat making slits in opposite direction to form diamond shapes. After scoring, insert cloves where the cuts meet.

INSERT ovenproof meat thermometer in thickest part of ham without touching the bone and bake at 325°F for 15-20 min./lb. of ham or until thermometer registers 140°F. Remove from oven. Allow ham to stand 10-15 min. Standing allows juices to settle before carving.
GLAZE with your favorite glaze recipe during the last half hour of cooking. Glaze a ham during the last 30 minutes of its cooking time. This allows the flavor to penetrate the ham without burning the glaze, which usually contains some form of sugar. Before glazing, garnish with pineapple slices or maraschino cherries, if desired. Be sure to discard any leftover glaze used to baste.
CARVING
To carve the shank or butt half, cut along the length of bone across to end of ham, using a fork to hold ham as you cut. Cut downwards through top half of roast to make slices. Repeat with remaining roast.

Orange-Pineapple Dijon Sauce for Ham

Makes: 3/4 cup sauce for basting and about 6 (2-Tbsp.) servings of sauce for serving with sliced ham
1 can (8 oz.) pineapple slices, un-drained
1 cup orange marmalade
2 Tbsp. GREY POUPON Dijon Mustard

DRAIN pineapple, reserving liquid. Mix reserved pineapple liquid, marmalade and mustard until well blended. Reserve 3/4 cup of the mustard mixture to brush on a ham during the last 30 minutes of baking time.
POUR remaining 3/4 cup mustard mixture into small saucepan; cook on medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve over ham slices. Use pineapple slices to decorate ham before baking or serve pineapple slices with sliced baked ham.


Cranberry-Pineapple Sauce for Ham

Makes: 1 cup sauce for basting plus about 11 (2-Tbsp.) servings of sauce for serving with sliced ham

1 can (16 oz.) whole berry cranberry sauce
1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple, un-drained
2 Tbsp. GREY POUPON Dijon Mustard

Place all ingredients in blender or food processor container; cover. Blend until smooth. Reserve 1 cup of the cranberry mixture to brush onto a ham during the last 30 minutes of baking time.
Cook remaining 1-1/3 cups cranberry mixture in small saucepan on medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve over sliced ham.

** My Note - I use a simple glaze of brown sugar, balsamic vinegar & a little water. I don't measure - sorry. Just use about a cup of br0wn sugar, add balsamic vinegar to a thick paste, then add enough water to make it just spreadable. It's the best out of any I've tired. I don't put cloves in the scoring - my kids don't like the flavor it creates. My sister, Liesa has a good mustard cream recipe for ham, I'll get it from here and add it here later.

Black Bean Burrito Bake

1 (7oz) can chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
½ cup reduced fat sour cream
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed, drained & divided
1 cup whole-kernel corn, thawed
4 (8”) flour tortillas

1 cup bottled salsa
½ cup Monterey jack cheese

• Pre-heat oven to 350.
• Remove 1 chilli from can. Chop finely. (save rest for another use)
• Combine sour cream and chilli in medium bowl, and let sit for 10 minutes.
• Place ½ the beans in a food processor; process until finely chopped.
• Add chopped beans, remaining beans and corn to sour cream mixture.
• Spoon ½ cup bean mixture down the center of each tortilla, roll and place seam down in baking dish.
• Spread salsa over tortillas & sprinkle with cheese.
• Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Serve with yellow rice.
• Serves 4.

** My Note - I do not want to wash the food processor for 1/2 a can of beans! I just use 1 bowl. I smash 1/2 the black beans with a potato masher, then add all the other stuff into that same bowl. I don't add the salsa before baking. When we serve them, I serve them over a bed of shredded romaine lettuce, then we add salsa as desired. I use 7" whole wheat tortillas.

Chicken Curry Salad


3 cups cooked chicken breast
1 1/2 cups grapes , cut in halves
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
2 Tablespoons grated onion
1 can water chestnuts, chopped (I left these out)
1/2 cup silvered almonds

Dressing
1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon curry powder

Refrigerate overnight (not really necessary.)

** My Note - This is one I discovered this spring, and a new favorite for us. I serve it on soft whole wheat rolls, with a green salad as a side.

Deanna's Peach/Apple Betty

Ingredients:
4 cups Pared tart apples or 2 1/2 cups sliced and drained apples or peaches.
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup Sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
Dash of Salt
1/2 cup butter
2 Tbl. Corn Starch

Instructions:
Combine apples or peaches in a large bowl and sprinkle with orange juice and 2 Tbl. or cornstarch for thickening.

Topping--
Combine sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
Then Scatter mixture over apples or peaches.
Use a 6x12 pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 min. or until apples/peaches are done and topping is crisp.

Serve warm with cream or ice cream
Make 6 servings.

** My Note - This was a little too much for me (although Rick polished his off!) Next time I make it I will reduce the butter to 1/4 cup, and the sugar to 3/4 cup.

Pesto

1 and a half cups of basil (Whole leaves, packed down.)
2 cloves garlic
1/4 c pine nuts
3/4 c Parmesan cheese
3/4 c olive oil

Wash the basil and pat dry.
Add all the ingredients except the olive oil into a blender/food processor and mix. Drizzle the olive oil in a little at a time and continue mixing. Toss over warm pasta.

** My Note - I toss this over warm penne, then add halved cherry or grape tomatoes and pine nuts. We usually serve it with green salad & bread.


Potato, Ham & Corn Soup

4 potatoes, cubed
1 T butter
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopeed celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
4 T flour
1/2 lb chopped ham
1 1/2 cups corn

In a deep pot, saute celery, onion and salt in 1 T butter until the onion is clear and soft. Add potatoes and water to cover. Boil and cook 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. In a separate pan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Add the flour ans stir until creamy. Remove from heat. Slowly add the milk while stirring. Return to heat until thickened. Add to boiled potatoes. Return to a boil and cook until desired consistency. Add ham and corn and heat through.

** My Note - I got this recipe from my sister Sara, who got it from my sister Corinne, who uses her sister-in-law Kristin's adapted clam chowder recipe! We have lots of recipes for soup like this, but this is one of the best I've tasted and is super easy to make. My kids GOBBLE bowls full on it.


SUMMER VEGETABLE QUICHE


4 comments:

NessaAnn said...

Just reading Deanna's recipes makes my waist expand. MMmmmmm!

Emma said...

I've been getting tired of some of the meals on our family meal rotation lately, so it will be good to see if some of the meals you make can be switched out with some of mine for a while. Do you know that I haven't ever found black beans in Australia? I'm sure they must sell them somewhere but they aren't at my local Wooly's. I'll have to wait until we're back in the US to make the black bean one.

liz said...

this is fabulous!!!! thanks for sharing. I often wondered what was on your monthly list!

Tara said...

You gave me the Black Bean Burrito Bake when I became a vegetarian and I love it. I too have had a hard time finding black beans in Australia (you can get them from the asian food stores) but Woolies is more convenient - so I changed the recipe a bit.

1 can kidney beans
1 can 5 bean-mix
1 can corn
1 cup sour cream
1/4 C. roasted red pepper
Pinch of red chili pepper
10 (8”) flour tortillas
2-3 cups salsa
1 cup Colby cheese

I prepare it pretty much the same as you but I cook it completely smothered with the salsa on and it is so delicious - one of our favourite meals. (I do half it when I make it because there's only two of us and that does dinner and leftovers for lunch the next day.) It's also really yummy to just have the filling over rice. Thanks for the recipe I make it once a month.