Monday, May 4, 2009

Picky Eaters

When Rebekah was a baby and toddler she was the GREATEST eater. She ate everything, loved vegetables, and would choose an apple over a candy bar any day. We ate a lot of vegetarian food, and spicy food, and a wide variety of food and she downed it all.

I was quite pleased with myself. I was absolutely convinced that my great parenting choices had created her habits. I thought that parents who complained about picky eaters were just pandering to their children. I was of the opinion that kids would eat what you wanted them too, once they got hungry enough - so only offer them good food.

Then I had Emily.
Oh boy, did pride ever goeth before a fall!

While Jake will eat just about anything you put in front of him and Rebekah is still pretty good - Jane and Emily are very picky. I have parented them in much the same way, breastfed them all exclusively, made my own baby foods, and followed the same habits as I introduced solids (not a day before 6 months old.) It has produced very different results.

When Jane won't stay in her seat and eat her food, she has to sit in the highchair.
It's not pretty.

You'd think we were beating her the way she wails.
She tries to get out - and often comes pretty close.

It's tough on the heartstrings too - though my frustration by this point has usually reach a level that gives me way less compassion for those tears!

So here's what I've decided - some kids are born great eaters, and others are born picky. The only thing we can do as parents is offer them healthy food, model good choices (still working on that one) and not beat ourselves up about it. The occasional treat (aka bribe) is probably OK too.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Is it wrong that I think those pictures are funny?