Thursday, May 7, 2009

Snacks


I like my kids (all of us really) to eat yogurt every day. Jacob, Jane and I love it - so we eat it every day for a snack between breakfast and lunch. I instituted this with the bigger girls too - but haven't been able to maintain it after they go to school. (When we eat pancakes for breakfast I make them with yogurt - so at least that's something!)

The other typical snack we have is after school. I have to say that recently I have all but eliminated this snack - it really does seem to take the edge off dinner. We eat dinner around 5:30 every day (sporting activities allowing.) After school snacks are usually around 3 or 3:30 - I think it's just too close. If they don't eat enough dinner they wake up even earlier than usual, because they're hungry - which kills me! So the snacks have been nixed.

That said - there are days when we just need them. Maybe we're at a late swimming class, T-ball practice, playing late at the park because it's a beautiful day, or some other reason dinner will be later. So, I have decided that when they have an afternoon snack, it needs to be something that I don't mind taking the place of part of their dinner, that way I'm not as bothered if they eat less at mealtime.

Here are some of our favorite snacks -

Sliced bell peppers.

Celery with peanut butter or cream cheese.

Apples with peanut butter. (The only form of fruit Emy or Jane will eat.)

Crackers and goat cheese (or any kind of cheese.)

Hummus with carrots or pita chips.

Snow or snap peas.

Any bean (black beans are our favorite, but we also love small red, or chick peas.)

Broccoli, cucumber or carrots with ranch for dipping.

Popcorn
(OK, not alright with this taking the place of dinner - but it's an easy and yummy snack and not too filling, so sometimes we get away with it.)

Jacob will also eat any fruit - watermelon, berries or a banana are his favs. Of course, my little girlies won't touch the fruit. Sigh.

What are some of your favorite snacks?

2 comments:

Tara said...

I love peppers as a snack too. I also eat a lot of nuts because they're easy and I need the protein. When I can find good dried apricots I eat a lot of those for the iron, and I love boiled eggs (as long as they're not overdone).

Tania said...

Oh,I forgot about nuts. Yes,they should have been on the list. My kids LOVE nuts,and they are so easy, transportable and full of protein.

They especially love pistachio's, pecans and almonds.

I love boiled eggs with a sprinkle of salt, but my kids won't eat them.